Getting to know you
Morton Ward Relief Society Spotlight
Your full name Mary Christine Braun
Where were you born? Where did you grow up? Born in Peoria, Illinois in 1959, grew up in Washington, IL. Left when I was 19 and lived in Arizona, Utah, California. Moved back to Illinois in 1993 to raise our children with good, traditional Midwestern values. I love it here.
Tell us about your family? I am married to Jeff since 1980. We have four sons and one daughter. Adam is married to Tamara, and they have four daughters and live in Arizona; Jacob has not married and lives in Peoria; John is married to Amanda, lives in Indianapolis and goes to medical school and they are expecting their first baby, a boy next month. Andrew is single, lives in Moline, works as a golf pro for Oakwood Country Club and is progressing toward his PGA certifications; Jessica is single (divorced), lives with us currently.
Your favorite sweet treat? My tastes in food are not sophisticated. If I want something sweet, I will reach for something with chocolate or a soda, but it is important to moderate both.
Your favorite food? Toast with butter
Your favorite food? Toast with butter
What are your hobbies and/or something new you would like to learn: I have few hobbies right now since I am working on my bachelor’s degree. I love to learn anything to help me understand Heavenly Father’s plan, so that includes almost anything! I want to be able to think critically
and write persuasively. I love to read - currently reading Rought Stone Rolling (about Joseph Smith) and The Theme Is Freedom (about religious freedom and our Constitution). Up until Obama was elected, I was very interested in politics, but that has waned.
Share one of your most embarrassing moments: I continually embarass myself! Too many to remember - and I’m trying hard to forget them!
Share something about you that no one would know about .In my spare time, I am working to become an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness.
Share a dream that you have or something you would like to do or see some day. I want to improve medical services and awareness for Emotional Dysregulation (BPD) in central Illinois; I hope to be a facilitator for the Family Connections program. I hope to have my calling and election made sure and the Holy Spirit of Promise seal my temple marriage covenant Name a movie or book that best describes you or your life. Atlas Shrugged. ( I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders.)
Share one of your most embarrassing moments: I continually embarass myself! Too many to remember - and I’m trying hard to forget them!
Share something about you that no one would know about .In my spare time, I am working to become an advocate for those who suffer from mental illness.
Share a dream that you have or something you would like to do or see some day. I want to improve medical services and awareness for Emotional Dysregulation (BPD) in central Illinois; I hope to be a facilitator for the Family Connections program. I hope to have my calling and election made sure and the Holy Spirit of Promise seal my temple marriage covenant Name a movie or book that best describes you or your life. Atlas Shrugged. ( I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders.)
If you have a conversion story, please share it. Long story short: I was sitting in the Mesa Temple Visitor’s Center when a feeling came over me, starting in my stomach and just grew and grew and grew until I couldn’t contain the joy I was feeling, and I felt as if it would pour out of me. I was amazed by the powerful feelings of joy, but didn’t completely understand it until six months later, I sat in the last bench of the Morton Ward in 1982 and Bishop Shurts read a scripture from the
Book of Mormon (Alma 28) that described my experience perfectly. That moment sealed my testimony, and I have never, ever wavered. I have a testimony that Joseph Smith was called as a prophet to restore the Church of Jesus Christ and open the last dispensation. The Book of Mormon was translated through the gifts and power of God through his chosen Prophet. Jesus Christ is our Saviour and Redeemer. His atonement didn’t begin and end on the cross and in Gethsemane. His
atonement still works with and in me every single day. Jesus Christ has the grace sufficient even for me to overcome this world.
What are some of the callings you have had in the church? Which was your favorite? Why? I have served in every capacity except for Gospel Doctrine teacher and RS Secretary. Teaching seminary was awesome, because the youth of this Church as AMAZING and give me hope! I loved serving as Relief Society president because I came to know how tireless some sisters are in service to others - what great examples to me. Primary is probably my favorite simply because the Spirit is so easily
there - through the purity and innocence of the children and the powerful music. It’s hard not to love being where the Spirit is!!Who is your favorite Latter-day Prophet and why?
Taft Benson and Gordon B. Hinckley. President Benson was the prophet I most remember as a new convert, and I learned from him so so much. Gordon B. HInckley is everything I want to be in a
person and member of the Church. He accomplished a great deal and was a great leader. I love all of our prophets. We are so blessed to have them!
No comments:
Post a Comment