Monday, May 21, 2012

Self Reliant Garden

WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE!
 
I am sorry I have not posted an update reciently on gardening! 
By now most have started their gardens and are tackeling the tasks of weeding and watering. This spring has been a bit dry and sunny so try and aim for drip or soaker irrigation verses over head watering. Overhead watering is just using the hose or sprinkler to water plants. It results in a lot of evaporation and the leaves becoming wet and stressing the plants with sunburn and a host of diseases that are easily spread with water.
If all you have is a standard hose, here is what you can do. 
    Add lots of mulch to your garden. Lay down thick sheets of newspaper, use hay ( hay is better than straw because it doesn't rob nitrogen from the soil as it decomposes like straw can, but honestly I DO use straw because it is easier to get than hay, but I do not plow it into the garden in fall I take it up and burn it.), leaves, shredded paper, ect. The mulch will help keep the soil from splashing up onto the plants AND keep the water from evaporating, AND reduce weeds!
    Take off the hose nozile and turn the hose on a trickle.
    Lay the hose at the base of the plant and allow to sit a minute or two beforemoving it to the next plant. I know this may seem like it will take FOREVER, but it might give you the time to really inspect your garden, pinch out suckers on the tomatoes, pull some weeds, harvest, and look for pests. 
Keep up the watering and call, text, or email me any questions or concerns
Lisa Jacobsgaard 309-472-0297  lisaj1121@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment